Page

Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Price of Miracle



It was a long time ago in a small village at Kedah.

A little girl went to her tiny bedroom and pulled a bottle from its hiding place in the closet. She poured the coins out on the floor and counted it carefully. The total had to be exactly perfect. No chance here for mistakes.

After finish counting, she carefully placing the coins back in the bottle and twisting on the cap, she slipped out the back door slowly without her parents noticing her and made her way to the small town to go to the drug store.

It took her almost half an hour to arrive at the pharmacy.

Once she arrived, she entered the door and waited patiently for the pharmacist to give her some attention.


Moment after moment, Aleeya still didn’t get the pharmacist attention, coz he was too busy talking with someone.


Aleeya twisted her feet to make a scuffing noise.


Still nothing.


She cleared her throat with the most disgusting sound she could muster.


No good.


Finally she took some of coins from her bottle and banged it on the glass counter.


That did it!


The pharmacist turn and walk near to Aleeya.


The pharmacist : What do u want kiddo??? Are u lost or something??? I’m busy here talking with my brother who just arrived from Kuala Lumpur. And u know what, it’s been a while since I met my brother so please don’t waste my time, go back to ur parents!


Then without waiting for answer, the pharmacist continue talking back to his brother.


Aleeya didn’t give up.


Aleeya : Well, THANKS for telling me about ur brother. But now let me tell u about my brother! My brother now, he’s really, really sick…..and I want to buy a miracle.


This time Aleeya managed to get attention from the pharmacist and even the pharmacist’s brother is start looking and listening to Aleeya.


The pharmacist : I beg ur pardon? What did u say? 


Aleeya : His name is Amar, and he has something bad growing inside his head, and my Abah says only a miracle can save him now. So how much does a miracle cost?


The pharmacist shocked and start speak with softening tone.


The pharmacist : I’m sorry dear, but we don’t sell miracles here. I’m so sorry for being rude with u just now. And sorry coz I cannot help u.


Aleeya still didn’t give up.


Aleeya : Listen, I have the money to pay for it. If it isn't enough, I will get the rest. Just tell me how much it costs.


The pharmacist's brother who just stood near there silently from the beginning, move towards them.  He was a well dressed man. He stooped down and asked the little girl,

The well dressed man : What kind of a miracle does ur brother need my dear?


Aleeya : I don’t know.


Aleeya starts sobbing…..Then she continue..


Aleeya : I just know he’s really sick, and ibu says he needs an operation. But abah can’t pay for it, so I want to use my money.


The well dressed man: How much do u have?


Aleeya closed her eyes as she try to remember back how much money she have, then slowly she opened her eyes and says with slow voice,


Aleeya : I have two ringgit and 30 cents sir. And it’s all that I have, but I can get some more if I need to.


The well dressed man: Well, what a coincidence… (while smiling)…Two ringgit and 30 cent is the exact price of a miracle for little brothers…

The well dressed man then took her money in one hand and with the other hand he grasped her mitten and whispers to Aleeya’s ear;
"Take me to where u live. I want to see ur brother and meet ur parents. Let's see if I have the miracle u need."
That well dressed man was a surgeon specializing in neurosurgery.

Long story short, the operation was completed free of charge, and it wasn't long until Amar was home again and doing well.

Ibu and Abah were happily talking about the chain of events that had led them to this place.

"That surgery," her Mom whispered. "was a real miracle. I wonder how much it would have cost?"


Aleeya smiled. She knew exactly how much a miracle cost...


Two ringgit and 30 cents...plus the faith of a little child.



4 comments:

Hani Suffian said...

Made me cry. You are such a good writer Fared. A job well done.
By the way, thank you for updating your blog. My waiting is over. Keep up!

Fared Isa said...

Thanks to u too for read my blog.

Unknown said...

is this a true story? never mind..its a miracle!

farhana said...

salam...please can u tell me...is this true story?....or real..very nice writting...jazak allah khair

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails